Monday, April 19, 2010

The End of the Year

I'd like to take a moment to pause and reflect on everything we've learned - Analytics, LinkedIn, Facebook, search engine optimization, Second Life, and many more topics. Where did this semester go?

As a graduating senior this has only served to reinforce the roles of various social networking sites in my life. Sure, there are some helpful networking areas on Facebook, and I even caught site of a very interesting Online Media networking group on Facebook, but really - it's Facebook. It's too personal, too casual, and often, people make it too incriminating (you'd be amazed at the photos people are capable of posting). Besides, as we learned through that rather revealing mirror exercise, it's not necessary as private as we think.

I've been scouring LinkedIn most days, not to mention doing all the research I can using the more suitable methods (as in, not Facebook) in order to pursue job opportunities. My thesis has been hogging up most of my time but the Internet really has changed the way we market ourselves, market our companies, and the way we find job offers. I know too many people who have found great jobs on Craigslist or just by Googling the right person rather than using the application process.

3 comments:

  1. And don't you think that now, using social networking tools or googling people or trying to market ourselves like this has become part of the job research process?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The internet offers so much but nothing is guaranteed. LinkedIn works for some, facebook for others. People find jobs in creative and random ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always amazed at the pictures people post on Facebook and their often incriminating content. I also am often astonished at what people make their Facebook status--it does get really personal.
    Additionally, the whole job hunt thing is changing--I've even been turning to craiglist for potential employment opportunities

    ReplyDelete