Monday, April 5, 2010

Analytics and Web Optimization

I have a confession to make - despite my technical know-how when it comes to hardware and my high level of proficiency when it comes to navigating cyberspace, as well as my knowledge of Internet culture, I came into this class with no concept of what Google analytics or web optimization meant. To me, Internet marketing seemed limited to banners, corporate websites and blogs, and Facebook and Twitter satellite branches (if you will). I had an idea of how people pay a search engine like Google to come up as a higher result on searches, but that was all I knew.

From this relatively simple concept, a litany of possibilities has emerged, as our reading demonstrated. Take a look at just one of the best examples: Wikipedia. Do a little experiment for me - type in any random noun. Right now, any noun at all. Sears Tower, crab cake, Eddie Murphy, whatever. Was the Wikipedia entry the second entry after maybe the main web page about the topic itself, or even the top entry? I can assume there's a 95% chance it was in the top five.

One interesting concept with Internet marketing is how fantastic it is for sites like Wikipedia that deal with extensive amounts of information. It means that more people have the opportunity to discover Wikipedia through a seemingly unrelated topic, and it is why Google analytics is so important.

4 comments:

  1. Google Ad Words is a great concept. The NGO I work for lives and breathes by it. You can actually create a list of words (similar to tags) that correlate with your website or different pages on your site. Then you can compare which words were more successful at creating and bringing traffic to your page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are true Michael.
    And do you think that the truth and information which is worth it only come from big brands like wikipedia which can afford appearing first ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right! I also had no idea how powerful SEO and other tools for measuring website traffic are and the role they play in the internet marketing game

    ReplyDelete
  4. SEO is a tool that i feel separates websites and businesses from succeeding or failing. It's definitely a secret weapon that everyone needs to get on board with to stay competitive in the world of googling things

    ReplyDelete