Monday, March 22, 2010

The Strength of Culture and Collaboration

In something of a retread of my last post, online collaboration seems similar in a way to virtual teams. Collaboration online can produce results swiftly and efficiently, and interestingly, in our reading we found that corporate culture was found to be the driving force behind efficiency in collaboration rather than technology. Why could this be?

More freedom and a sense of community rather than simply deploying the latest technology seem to be key triggers. What strikes a memorable chord with me is the "come and go as you please" idea mentioned in one of the articles. Simply put, I like having freedom to do pursue my own goals at my own pace, albeit with a reasonable time. I like having my resources and being told to accomplish something without having to make constant reports or updates, as long as the job gets done well. I have found that this lets me work in a relatively laid back, stress-free situation.

This is the benefit online communication and collaboration. People are often at home and they often have their own resources at their disposal online without making constant trips to the office. If this is the future, I am proud to be a part of it - in my current work now as an American University ambassador, I am in charge of online chats. Ambassadors can chat from home, work, or wherever they happen to be as we help prospective students, and everyone loves it.

1 comment:

  1. about virtual collaboration being similar to virtual teams, I think exactly the same. Most of the terminology we are reading about is very closely connected to eachother - only they are explained differently. It got me really confused as to what the difference was...sort of like saying what is the difference between water and H2O. None, right? just that one might be more molecularly correct and the other may hold some other substance (sparkling water is still water but contains carbon dioxide turning the formula into H2OCO3.....sometimes I wonder why I didn't go into biochemistry afterall...:S lol)

    ReplyDelete