Sunday, February 21, 2010

Linking Up with LinkedIn

This is reading that I knew something about; I've already had a LinkedIn profile for some time now, although I just recently got around to updating it and asking for several recommendations, which my friends and colleagues have generously agreed to provide. So what specifically works about LinkedIn?

The short answer is that in terms of networking for actual jobs and business opportunities, it's much easier to take seriously than Facebook, or especially MySpace. Look at any person's wall on Facebook: What do you see? General information, usually interests, some contact information, and then come the add-ons. My personal revulsion of Farmville aside, the average Facebook user's wall is chock full of polls, quizzes, trivias, graffiti walls, and maybe a few comments that would seem a little incriminating to employers.

What's on LinkedIn? Better privacy settings, an E-resume, recommendations, a chance to present oneself and display interests, not to mention get in touch with companies tech-savvy enough to be on LinkedIn. No whistles, bells, or irritating invitations to join Farmville.

As a second semester senior LinkedIn has and will continue to be invaluable to me in many ways, especially job searches and reaching out to people. If you don't have a LinkedIn account, I highly recommend making one for yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I like how there is separation between facebook and LinkedIn. I don't think facebook should try and merge to become more like LinkedIn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that I trust my judgment when it comes to posting things on facebook, i just don't trust half of my friends...

    Addison--you dont want a linkbook? a possible LinkedIn Facebook hybrid? haha

    ReplyDelete